In house Legal Counsel – Commercial
Who are we?
Soprano Design is a multi-award-winning cloud communication company and a leading provider of intelligent and secure business mobile messaging software solutions for enterprises and governments worldwide. Our explosive global growth in recent years is a direct result of Soprano’s continued focus on global enterprise customer needs.
We want you!
Due to growth, we are seeking a junior legal counsel to join the legal team in North Sydney. You will have approximately 3 years PQE in general commercial and/or IT/Technology law acquired in a leading law firm and will be an astute lawyer, commercial and solutions focused with excellent negotiating skills.
This is a highly visible and highly commercial role which will see you working very closely with the business. You will advise on the commercialisation of product and service offerings, including global licensing; as well as drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide range of agreements (including MSAs, SaaS).
What will you be responsible for?
- You will be required to advise on a broad range of commercial transactions (including confidentiality agreements, customer agreements, supplier agreements, IT, IP, employment, marketing), as well as regulatory and privacy issues
- Ensure legal compliance with statutory and contractual obligations, and limit risk exposure
- Supporting sales teams and managing multiple clients, deals, tasks and deadlines.
- Happy to work in a small, close-knit and busy legal team
- Liaise with external lawyers where necessary
- Respond to ad hoc requests for advice from the business units on wide variety of matters
- Ensure that legal services are provided in a timely and efficient way.
- Ability to develop new ideas and methods to effectively address recurring legal issues.
- Being an ambassador of our Values and Vision “Collaboration, Innovation, Respect and Strive”
Required Skills and Experience
What does it take?
- Demonstrated commercial legal experience, including IT/IP experience, such as licensing, technology supply and distribution arrangements, data privacy desirable
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both orally and in a written form
- Confidence to deal effectively with management and other stakeholders at all levels
- Strong contract negotiation skills
- Strong ethics
- Excellent organisational skills (ability to prioritise work load especially with time constraints)
- Commercial mindset
- Ability to think strategically as well as take on day-to-day activities
- Capable of working independently and autonomously as well as collaboratively
- Adaptable and able to show initiative.
Minimum Education/Professional Qualifications & Experience Required:
- A current practicing certificate
- Ideally at least 3 years’ post qualification experience in a commercial practice group from a top tier or highly regarded mid-tier firm. Secondment or in-house experience would be highly desirable